CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 17, 2007

Puja

Last night I did Puja (offering) on the Ghats of the Ganges River. A little girl led me through the crowds of pilgrims to a "Brahman" priest who chanted something in Hindi, tied some red string around my wrist, put a red bindi dot on my forehead, then gave me some sort of blessing. And for all that he only wanted a small donation of 500 Rupees:) Sounds a bit like priestcraft if you ask me:) Okay, really though, being here in Varanasi has been amazing! The shop keepers, hotel owners, rickshaw drivers, and even the beggars are more aggressive here, but to see the puja rituals is soo cool. Thousands of people come here every day and night to bathe in the "sacred" waters of this river. Across the river from the balcony of my guest house room, I can see funeral pires--I think the Hindu people believe that if you are cremated and your ashes are spread over the waters of the Ganges River, you're automatically guaranteed moksha (release from the chain of reencarnation--like eternal life or nirvana).

0 comments: