CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 17, 2007

pictures worth a thousand words

so, you'd probably rather be looking at photos than reading these long posts. well, to be honest, id rather be posting photos than writing these posts, but alas, Indian computers have been somewhat at odds with me the last couple of times i've tried to post pictures. I'll put photos of the amazingly stunning Taj MaMahal, the bathing ghats of the Ganges River, some of the other awesome forts in India, as well as the local life of the village where I live. So, check back later. Until then you'll have to actually read something.
Life in the village is very simple. Children tail me everywhere I go trying to see the digital photos I take. And I love to see the surprised look on peoples faces when I stop to practice my limited Hindi with them--they think it's so great that I can even say Namaste (hello). Camels pull carts through the narrow streets, and often traffic jams occur when a rickshaw, camel cart, bus, car, and scooters all try to pass eachother at the same time. I teach a group of 10-12 year old boys for about three hours each day, have hindi lessons for about one hour each day, play with the kids, do meditation with them, help in the kitchen, and use the rest of my time to do basically whatever I want.
The past few days I've been away from the Bal Ashram (center for the boys) visiting Agra and Varanasi. The trips on buses, trains, and rickshaws have been crazy long, but it's been worth it! I can hardly describe how amazingly awesome the Taj Mahal was! I could have stayed there all day just looking at it--definitly qualifies as one of the great wonders of the world! Varanasi has been interesting. I didn't think I liked it much at first, but then being there at the Ghats with thousands of devoted Hindus last night was an unforgetable experience.
Hopefully I can find a computer that will let me upload photos soon--a picture is worth a thousand words!

6 comments:

SeanS said...

wow cim that's awesome. i was just thinking about you yesterday actually wondering where you were at and thinking i should give you a call, but i'm guessing that might be a little tough.

SeanS said...

this is Sean Slobodan by the way.

wendy_d23 said...

wow Cim, sounds crazy, scary, exciting! Hope you are having a blast!

Amy Lynn said...

Do you have anyone else around your age there with you or are you basically a solo act? I can't believe where you are and what you are doing. I can't believe you saw the Taj Mahal...unreal. I almost feel like you've stepped in to a movie...isn't it hard to believe all these different experiences and cultures and circumstances exist on one planet??

Craig said...

Cim... dang - I had no idea you were all over the world! Sounds like a serious adventure, and I'm all kinds of jealous. If you meet anyone who speaks the Towlgu (sp?) dialect, I'll teach you how to count to 10 for them... they'll be way impressed. Anyway, it's good to see you're out having fun and stuff!

Beka said...

sounds incredible...too bad we cant be comps on this mission! i miss you, i'm so glad you are doing what you are doing. i would love to visit there someday! i'm excited to see more pics...i check your blog all the time, so even if you cant post pics, keep writing lots! love ya- s.tam:)