CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

One of these things is not like the others...

Periodically groups of women from nearby villages come to visit the Bal Ashram. On one occasion, I noticed that they were all staring at me as they walked past where I was sitting studying, so I got up and approached them to say "namaste" (hello). They thought it was soo cool that I was actually speaking to them--they all swarmed me and wanted to shake my hand. After I had exhausted all the Hindi I knew, we just kinda stared at eachother. Then I pulled out my camera to take a photo and they went crazy! Indian women either love to have their photo taken, or they cover their face with their shawl and shy away from the camera. These women were not shy! as soon as the photo was taken, they all grabbed for the camera and fought with eachother to see the picture...I just stood back and giggled:)

6 comments:

CayLynne said...

I guess I haven't checked your blog in awhile. Wow! You are amazing. As I sit here in Riverton, Utah, eating my bowl of Cheerios, I too wonder what you get to eat there in India. We pray for you every day and trust that you are safe and happy. Keep us posted.

wendy_d23 said...

by the way, happy birthday

Adrienne said...

Cim-

Ashley Kitchen and I are thinking about going to India in April. We could definitely use some advice from you. It looks like you are having a blast. The Taj Mahal looks amazing. I can't wait to go myself. My main question is where do you think is the best place to find cheap airfare to India. Thanks for your help and can't wait to see you when you get back!

-Adrienne

Adrienne said...

ps. my email address is adriewool@gmail.com

Maria said...

CIM!!! I can't believe it! I just discovered your blog and I'm thrilled! It has verified everything I imagined you were doing/accomplishing...way to go! You've always been such an amazing person. Well done! I hope it's ok if I keep tuning in...
Hope you're enjoying yourself!
Smiles,
Maria

Unknown said...

cim - that's great about the whole "namaste, stared at each other, took pictures" thing - but isn't it OBVIOUS what they were really waiting for?

YOU:

BREAK-DANCING

c'mon cim - they were clearly too shy to ask, but that's the proper thing for americans to do when surrounded by indian women - especially when there is a language barrier.

break-dancing is the universal language of friendship and goodwill. try and do better next time.