CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Music Appreciation


Muse Music...interesting place. I went to a concert there last night with my friend Adam. It's one of those venues I'm not sure I could adequately describe--you really just have to experience it. It's basically a dark little hole in the wall on University Ave. with a small stage, some chairs, a couple of big very used couches, and an orange neon sign that says "PEOPLE" mounted to the bare, unfinished old brick walls. I get the impression that it's the sort of establishment where the same groups of punk/goth/emo people meet up on the weekend, just to kill time and check out bands.
The band we went to see was a two man show: Nate (Adam's friend) on the drums, and Matt on the electric guitar (I can't remember their band name). Adam warned me before hand that the show might be little weird, and I'll be honest, it wasn't really my favorite genre of music...; nevertheless, I can still appreciate talent and passion when I see it. And Nate and Matt were very passionate in the expression of their talents. They played with a lot of engergy and a lot of volume! And I say, why not?! Maybe more of us ought to be more confident about expressing our talents more boldly and creatively. Of course every talent is different, but it's talent none the less.
I remember a poem written at the beginning of Chaim Potok's book Davita's Harp. It went something like this: "They say, 'you have a blue guitar. You do not play things as they are.' And I said, 'ah, but things as they are, are different on the blue guitar.'"
Don't be afraid to be different, and don't be afraid to embrace diversity...within reason, of course:)
Definintely a fun memory!
p.S. I'll let you know when I can start hearing out of my right ear again:)









4 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

That sounds like tons of fun! were there a bunch of screamers? i am kind of a screamer too but i will never forget. my dad had really good tickets to see toby keith. and he is not my favorite but it was fun. and there was a lady behind us with a bunch of friends, who screamed the entire time! whole show! it was unbeleivable that she could still speak after wards! any way, that school of rock movie is really funny:) glad you had fun:)

Abby said...

Wow...I will try to read your blog without feeling like my life is very boring and predictable. Potty training is adventurous too, I suppose...in a really un-fun sort of way. But what I would give to go to India!!! I can't wait to hear and see pics. Have fun and be safe!

Amy Lynn said...

Back in my younger days I was quite the dance club hoppin', band listenin', stay out til dawn kind of girl. Now I'm content to rock out to Norah Jones, go to bed at 10:00 a.m. and dance to the Wiggles. Who would have ever thought??

Beka said...

i totally am remembering the song you wrote on the mish!! i forgot you could 'keep it real' on the guitar! love an miss ya