CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 25, 2007



Merry Christmas family and friends! This will look familiar to some of you. It's a copy of the Christmas email I sent out a few days ago. Enjoy:

I hope the holiday season is finding you all healthy, happy and safe! And I hope you've all been enjoying the spirit of the season. There's just something so special about the feeling this time of year. I think our hearts tend to open up, and we recognize the needs of others around us more than we usually do at other times. I hope these feelings of generosity and love motivate us to take action and really give what we can to those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

I've learned so many great lesson about kindness and generosity from the lovely family and village who have taken me in during my time in Thailand. I've been living with a little Thai family in their home out in a very rural village called Keng Sanam Nang. Although these people lack many of the comfortable conveniences most of us are blessed with every day, they are some of the most cheerful, loving, giving people on earth! They go out of their way to make sure you are happy and taken care of. Each day as I walked through the village on my way to the school where I taught, the people would come out to the street just to wave and say hello as I passed by, and often offered me some of the food they were preparing for their own families. They help eachother harvest their crops without expecting payment, and simply show their gratitude by helping or sharing the harvest in return.
My host "mom", Suwaluk has been raising her neice's daughter for eight years, has provided housing and paid for the education of three poor college students, and gives clothing and support to their struggling families.
Wednesday was my last day in the village. At school, each of the students, one by one, handed me flowers they'd picked, flower leighs they'd made, notes they'd written, and pictures they'd drawn. I was so touched by their thoughtfulness. And as I walked home through the village, stopping by shops and people's homes to say goodbye, many of the people ran inside to find something...anything, they could give me as a going-away gift.
What wonderful people! They've taught me so much, not only about Thai cooking, rice cutting, Buddhism, and culture, but also about enjoying life, and caring for others. I just arrived in Malaysia today and will be spending Christmas here with my friend Carla, who was also doing volunteer work in Thailand. I'll miss being home with everyone,but I'm excited to be in a fun new country. I hope everyone enjoys their celebrations and remembers the true meaning of Christmas. I think that regardless of our religious beliefs, the principles of love, charity, sacrifice, and selflessness that Jesus Christ taught can be beneficial for us all! I am so grateful for Christ's influence in my life. I know that he is my Savior and that he strengthens me beyond my own capacity every day of my life. It's because of him that not only Christmas, but also LIFE is so meaningful for me. I love you all and hope the best for you this Christmas...and every day!

3 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Cim, you are so wonderful! Thank you for such an uplifting, wonderful blog. I've been printing some of your blogs out and adding them to our "family" binder. I love the experiences you are having. I'm envious...I have high hopes for serving a mission with chris someday! I hope I get to see so much more of the world. Can't wait for you to come home and show all your "slides"! :>)

Jenna and Daniel said...

I can't believe all the incredible experiences you've had. I have to say that I think you are very brave. The older I get, the less adventurous I've become. I am amazed by you.
Hope you don't mind me stopping by to have a peek.
Take Care,
Jenna(Hobbs)Gonzalez

Emily said...

I must say, sometimes I'm so jealous of your globe-trotting adventures. Then I remember I hate flying and love sleeping in my own bed and adore my two little boys. We're born to the lives we're meant to lead and it's pretty fun to live vicariously through you.;) BTW, you look fabulous. I'm liking your long hair. Come see us when you're in UT.