CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Some people laugh through their noses...


My friend Nate made me cry at work a couple of weeks ago. Now before you start biting your thumb at him, let me explain.
It all started a few months ago when everyone at the office was gathered in our break room for our weekly company meeting. The room was packed, seating was limited, and wall space to lean against had been claimed. So, Nate, being the resourceful person he is, decided to use the edge of our 20 gallon trashcan as his seat (before I continue, you should know that I'm sharing this only with Nate's permission). Perhaps in a brief moment of lapsed judgment, perching his rear on the edge of a giant open trashcan seemed like a bright idea...but then, as you might have anticipated, the edge of the can buckled, and in went Nate to a pile of pizza boxes and apple cores. Fortunately he recovered gracefully without injury to much other than his pride, and without detracting too much attention from the speaker.
I've heard President Monson quote J.M. Barrie a couple of times when he said, "God gave us memories that we might have roses in December." How true this is. On a day when I was exhausted from lack of sleep, school work and other responsibilities, barely keeping my head above water, the simple humorous memory of Nate's trashcan mishap brought a much needed dose of pure gut busting cheer! The kind that brings tears to your eyes!
So the question is this: when was the last time you laughed? I mean REALLY laughed! I'm not talking about your average through-the-nose, closed-mouth, under-the-breath chuckle. I'm talking about that good, crazy, uncontrollable, stomach aching, breath sucking, tears are streaking down my cheeks, I can't finish my sentence laughter!
I highly recommend it if you haven't done it lately. In fact, here are a couple of things you can try if you need a little help getting your mirth on:
1. Think of one of your most embarrassing moments--as humiliating as it was then, its probably funny now... re-read your journal from Jr. High if you need a little inspiration.
2. Spend some time with little kids...and listen to all the profound things they say, watch them play soccer...
3. Play the laughing game-get together with your family or friends and lay on the ground with your head resting on someone else's stomach...and just start laughing. It's head-bobbing fun!
4. Go to the Mechanical Museum in San Francisco and sacrifice a quarter to listen to the giant wax laughing woman. Creepy? Yes. But it left me amused.
5. Watch Brian Regan, Napoleon, Nacho, Raising Arizona, Baby's Day Out, The Phone Call, or better yet, old home videos from the good ol' days.
Just laugh a little. After all, they do say "laughter is the best medicine"...unless of course you have dengue fever or something...
Thanks for the "roses" Nate!

5 comments:

Maria said...

I'm not complaining that you've posted. I'm actually very happy that you did! (And thanks for the reminder that a good belly laugh is therapy for the soul.)

HOWEVER-you didn't follow up on your last post. DID YOU JUMP!?!

chellae said...

This post reminds me of Grandma Anderson. Do you remember her little wall of quotes next to her telephone? A marry heart doeth good...

MindySue said...

The last time I laughed like that was actually at Thanksgiving. It's on my blog, but in case you haven't been there its when my brother told my sister "you better do it or i'm going to get NAKED and PINCH you!"....I don't know if we'll ever really know what he really meant to say but the look on his face was priceless. we completely dissolved and i cried i laughed so hard.

Maria said...

OR instead of going all the way to San Francisco to hear the giant wax woman laugh, you could just hunt me down and tickle my funny bone! ;-) or so I've been told.

Tara said...

Hopefully Maria's not really comparing herself to a GIANT wax woman because that comparison will simply not hold up. Maria is right about one thing though. . . DID YOU JUMP!??? On to the laughter part. I have to say I'm very blessed there because I spend a GREAT deal of time around children and they keep me busting a gut regularly. Just this morning Audrey said, "there was just only one part of the movie we hated and that was the whole thing!!" (commenting on an episode of Veggitales--NOT a big hit apparently.)